Getting Things Done

“Day 092/366 – To Do List” by Great Beyond is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Your toughest work is defining what your work is! –  Peter Drucker

SUMMARY

I completed the first assignment of unit 3 in history, spent about 3 hours more on it than I needed to but all that led to an A on the assignment so I’m very happy with it. But starting a new project in Unity is my highlight of this week, and this project, in particular, has shown me why I enjoy game design so much, it makes me happy, especially when I achieve something, like fix a bug, or release a new build, add a new feature, ext.

• DELETE ALL OF MR. LE DUC’s INSTRUCTIONS, AFTER YOU ARE DONE

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Image of David Allen at TED Talk
Screenshot from David Allen TED Talk

In this ‘room’ you are going to try Getting Things Done (GTD).

STEP 1: MAKE A LIST

Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk

STEP 2: NOTICE WHAT YOU NOTICED

Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk
Screenshot of David Allen TED Talk

• Daily Check-In
  • Complete English Assignment
  • Complete Blog Post
  • Complete History Assignment
  • Complete Math Assignments
  • Think of Game Ideas during 1st period Check-In
  • Complete Marketing Assignments

STEP 3: SET A TIMER

https://giphy.com/gifs/time-clock-konczakowski-d3yxg15kJppJilnW
  1. Set a timer for your first task
    1. Decide how long you think it will take before you start
  2. Start working
  3. Repeat this process for 45 minutes for as many tasks as you can complete, then take a 15-minute break
    • Get up and get a drink of water
    • Get up and go for a walk
    • Every 20 minute blink your eyes 20 times while looking at least 20 feet away
      • This is good for your eyes

Start steps 1 through 3 again, repeat for your school day

OUTSIDE (PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

David Allen image
Oct. 2020 Lucidchart interview with David Allen
Image from FastCompany Magazine, https://www.fastcompany.com/3026827/the-brain-hacks-top-founders-use-to-get-the-job-done
Image from FastCompany Magazine, https://www.fastcompany.com/3026827/the-brain-hacks-top-founders-use-to-get-the-job-done
  • Reflect on GTD and getting to the top of the colorful list above for a minute
    • How can the GTD process help you tame the crazy-busy dragon of modern life?

• Then, go for a 15-minute walk, if it is safe to do so
  • Write a few sentence reflection

OPTIONAL EXERCISE – Literally, read the article and go for another walk 🙂

Katia Verresen homepage
Katia Verresen, kvaleadership.com

“I coach C-suite executives and rising stars from the earliest startups to Fortune 100 companies. My passion is to help ambitious leaders achieve their full human potential.”  – Read more about Katia…

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

This week, I have learned that my history teacher appreciates a more healthy combination of quoted evidence and evidence put in your own words rather than all quotes, whereas my English teacher is perfectly fine with quotes. Onto game design, I have learned the way I went about movement code in A Safe Place, as well as an untitled project I am working on, gets the job done, but interferes with way too much to be good unless you only have movement on the X-axis and aren’t going to flip the character. I came across that because I’ve recently been watching Blackthornprod because I wish to add platformer-like movement into my game, so that simple three lines of code for movement had to go. His tutorial on platformer movement taught me how to flip my character so they face the right direction they’re walking towards, as well as how to make them jump, one, two, or three times.

When I booted up Unity this morning, I could see nothing but the background and the player’s weapon. I thought, what the heck is this? I decided to try a few things, I went back to a revision from earlier yesterday (Unity Collab is nice even when you’re working solo because you can back up assets with it and use it for debugging purposes), I tried disabling and reenabling the scene, and I tried restarting Unity. But it was a quite simple problem, only the background and player’s weapon were on a visible layer, so I needed to fix that and do some layer sorting before I got to work.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION